I just thought I would mention a few things that I'm experimenting with right now. I expect to write posts on them later, but after the final results are in.
I suggested to a friend, since she doesn't have much of a yard, that she should try growing potatoes in bags. I wasn't sure how this worked until I read a little about it on the internet. I did a little research and make some recommendations, but there's really nothing like trying it for yourself. So, after watching a couple of videos, here and here, this is what I did:
I took a $2 bag of compost from Charleston County.
I emptied it to about 1/4 to 1/3 full, and rolled the sides down
Stabbed it several times - enough for drainage, but not enough to fall apart.
Planted one potato per bag, a couple inches below the surface.
As the plant grows, I'll roll the bag up, filling with more compost. When it's ready to harvest, all I have to do is cut the bag open. I'll let you know in late May/early June how it turned out.
I was at a neighbor's house last weekend. He's really into permaculture - something I know very little about. One of his garden projects is creating multiple mandala gardens - in this case, they are circular gardens with a "key" path to access the center of the circle. It could look fairly formal when it's completed. I've gone through so many ideas about the landscaping in our front yard, that I really couldn't decide on one thing. After seeing his yard, I returned to a more formal design, but incorporating vegetables into the beds, as well as annuals and perennials. I've been playing around in the yard with a couple of different designs and I hope to settle on one by the weekend and start planting.
I can't end this post without mentioning the chickens, right? The past few weeks have seen a little rooster drama - our (unexpected) Rhode Island Red rooster, Maximus, figured out that he was 2-3 times the size of our little silkie rooster, who was the alpha male. Once Maximus became alpha, there was no peace. He would try to attack Silkie when he could. I started letting Silkie out of the coop first thing in the morning, before he could get attacked. Once all the birds were out in the yard, there was less drama - Maximus chased, but Silkie was able to run away. We decided to get rid of Maximus, for the good of the flock. It took a little effort on craigslist, but we had someone come get him the other day.
I''ve got a number of posts in the pipeline - I just have to finish writing them. In the meantime, I hope these suffice. Stay tuned.